Are you in need of getting away from the boredom of everyday life? Then take a break, since we have some interesting stuff for your surfing pleasure. I have scoured the web and picked out a few favorites so you don't have to - just don’t tell your boss you found them at Layers of Thought!
- The very interesting - Why can’t you buy an e-book in English outside the US?
- More e-book sellers - Borders has launched an e-book store.
- Yet some are ignoring the e-book sales trend -The Huffington Post has a short write up with links regarding the Wylie Agency and why it does not want to get in on the e-book band wagon.
Artsy and Interesting Bookish Links:
- Having seen this floating around blogs - book lovers have to love it with this set of incredible pictures. Bookshelf Porn!
- Have you ever thought about packing your huge book collection, when moving to another home? Whether a nightmare or a joy this blogger goes into detail around her process - where she asks and answers some intriguing questions.
- Love fantasy, myth, and it academic inclinations? Then take a look at the Mythopoeic Award Finalists which have been announced – June 4th. The list is from one of my favorite daily emailed zines – SF Scope. For loads of nerdy reading.
- Book Browse – one of my favorite places to find reviews, books, and more has a blog post with some interesting statistics around libraries in the US. It really supports their importance. We love our library!
For the Writers:
- Your never too old to start writing, is an article from The Guardian UK about Walt Whitman.
- Think you’ve had enough of vampires? I can’t imagine why - Stephanie Meyers is tired of Vampires too. This links to a short article from The Independent. As well - an article which contrarily states “vampires rule” this summer and it include a hot list for its dark fiction.
Giveaways and Challenges:
- Preetham Grandhi is giving away 20 copies of the newest version of his A Circle of Souls on his website. This links to Layers of Thought’s 4 star review of the book. This contest end July 18th, so hurry!
- J.C. Marino is giving away several copies of his book – Dante’s Journey on Goodreads. This contest ends August 4th. It is available for US/UK/Canada residents. For more info see Layers of Thought’s preview of Dante’s Journey.
Free Reads – Gotta love Them!
- A link for a free Sci Fi Download of Rudy Rucker’s - Post Singular. A big thanks to John from Grasping for the Wind for sharing this one.
- Via the blog SF Chat there is a site which has a number of speculative fiction audio books for free down load. Not sure how well it works with an iPod. Will let you know.
Beyond the Bookish:
If I missed your link, please feel free to add it in the comments. I do my best, but still have to eat, shower, and feed the cats. (And give my husband some attention now and then!).